Thursday 3 April 2008

Nutella and Sherlock Holmes

Nutella is actually quite tasty, I happened to pick up a jar here in Mexico. Funnily enough, it brought back memories of Koinonia last summer. There was a jar of it and we just put it on everything. I mean everything... well, of course we did the same thing with the hot sauce, but...
Spreads in general I find quite interesting. Australians have a spread called Vegemite, which I've heard is a byproduct of beer. People seem to have mixed opinions about it, most of the individuals who have mentioned it to me either love it or hate it, which I personally have yet to test it. It's supposed to go on toast or bread in a very thin layer.
One prominent saying I've heard about this sort of thing is that one must be raised around it in order to like it. In some ways it may be true (for example, I don't like oysters), but it could just be an old wives' tale (for example, I like Nutella and steak). I really don't know how I got off on spreads and food, because I really meant to write about Sherlock Holmes.
I've found Holmes singularly intellectually stimulating, which is something I rarely find in certain books, depending on what mood I'm in. The powers of observation and deduction are truly amazing to read about, although I find it hard to apply to the modern-day world. Holmes' one and only character is in itself the mark of an expert penman.
Well, I have to go read The Life of Lafayette for school, which I am really not looking forward to, as it really has not succeeded in obtaining my undivided interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment